Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Hallowhat? 2013

So it's Halloween and I had a REAAAAAALLY hard time mustering up the necessary cares it takes to put in the effort to make a costume. In fact, if there hadn't been a party I had already RSVP'd to, I probably would have done everything in my power to convince James to stay home and eat snacks and watch a scary movie with me instead.

However, I am married to a man who LOVES Halloween. His eyes light up and he gets excited at the prospect of costume making and general mischief making on All Hallows Eve. And because I don't want to be a joy suck, I pretended like I was super into it too! (Harder than it looks when ones is leading an entirely sober existence).

James decided the night before the party that he was going to be Fantastic Mr. Fox! So at 8:30 pm on a Friday night we headed to Halloween Alley and then to Value Village (*shudder*) to gather the necessary items to make his glorious costume. Because I am a supportive wife! I was just going as a chef (boorrrring) and it was a great excuse to wear my pink Crocs in public without getting judged.

However the next morning he was struck with a sudden burst of inspiration! The items we had purchased off the dirty floor at Value Village the previous night just would not do! He could do better than THAT! So off we went to Fabric Land, the magical land of, you guessed it, fabrics. He loaded up on brown fur, because that's a thing you can buy there, apparently.

From noon to 8:30, he snipped, he sewed, he used me as a model, he pricked his fingers on the needles, he slaved away. And he created another Halloween masterpiece in the form of a giant head. A giant Fantastic Mr. Fox head. And I? I used the scraps of discarded fur we found at Value Village (*shudder*) to become Fantastic Mrs. Fox, which was WAY CUTER THAN A CHEF.

Observe:



As I predicted, thanks to recent internet phenomenons, every time we walked into a room with new people in it, someone (or everyone) yell sang "WHAT DOES THE FOX SAY?" and then we had to explain our awesome costumes. What the cuss?

I ended up having a great time at the party, despite being stone cold sober. I even lasted until 12:45 am. Go me! I danced and boogied to the beat. There were lasers and people I loved. It was hard NOT to have a great time.

It's all about mindset, isn't it? In everything, all the time.

Happy Halloween from Mr. and Mrs. Fantastic Fox!

1 comment:

  1. THIS IS THE BEST!!!! Might be my favourite blog of yours ever. And you look so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...