Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free Banana Pancakes? Sure, Why Not?

On this little journey of health I started a mere three weeks ago, I have found myself devouring blogs dedicated to the lifestyle to which I aim to maintain. My little grain free, dairy free, sugar free, caffeine free, booze free experiment has paid off....I am down 15 lbs.

SAY WHAT?

That seems like an unhealthy amount of weight to lose in a short period of time, but before you get all "hey, how's it going Purging Penny?" on me, I'll tell you right now that I have continued to eat like the insatiable tall girl you all know and love (?), it's just what I am eating that makes all the difference. I've barely worked out in the last week (barring some long walks and yoga) and still managed to drop some elle-bees.

Simply by removing processed foods like grains and sugar from my diet, I am starting to climb back down to a healthier weight. This is awesome news for me, because it hasn't really been that hard. I have managed to find scores of recipes that allow me to experiment with coconut flour to create things that make you realize you CAN live without grains. It's not like my diet was terrible before - our home wasn't a place you'd find much candy or chips or ice cream or cookies, and we certainly avoided most pre-packaged processed foods. But, as you can see, by upping the ante, I've successfully started to actually make the desired changes I have been talking about doing for so long, and in a totally healthy, sustainable way.

And the best part is that you can find a balance! I have been for sushi twice in this time frame. The first time, I ordered tuna tataki and salad. Yesterday, my hubby and I split a roll, some tataki and some gomae. So yeah, some rice was had, but not much. I have also enjoyed some rice vermicelli whilst dining at a Vietnamese establishment, and had some corn pasta at my in-laws the other night (because I don't need to make my normally gluten free/dairy free diet any more complicated for them). And on Friday night I ate tacos because my favorite taco stand is closing down, followed by gluten free pizza on Saturday...just....because. And I ate the whole (personal sized) thing and didn't feel guilty about it at all.

But we're back to my "new" way of eating as of this morning, and it's not hard to transition back at all. In fact, it makes the whole idea of "this is how I should be eating ALL the time!" THAT much more acceptable when I can have some grains or treats every once in a while and still be healthy. Because I think it's entirely unhealthy to deny yourself things for too long. Everyone needs to eat dessert sometimes, and mama needs some rice occasionally. After a while, you just start making better decisions for yourself without even realizing it.

When it comes to booze, I've had but two diluted glasses of red wine, both at a celebration where I didn't feel like dealing with questions about why I'm not being my usual drink happy self. I surprised myself by going to a bar on Friday night, ordering a red wine spritzer, and nursing it for four hours! I EVEN had a great time. Go figure.

The cravings for these and my other vices are not even a factor. After the first week, I totally forgot about what I am restricting from myself. It's crazy that when you have a purpose, how much easier it becomes to stick to your goals.

That being said, it's so so SO wonderful that there are people out there who work and experiment to compile recipes for those of us trying to live a grain free existence. One of these blogs is Against All Grain, and this is a TREASURE of amazing tried and true recipes which are easy to make. The first one I tackled was banana pancakes, and they were AH-MAZING. Even James liked them. Such a fantastic subsitution for the real thing that you wouldn't ever feel the need to eat regular pancakes ever again (in fact, the last time I ordered the real thing in a restaurant, I hated them). I want to MARRY THESE PANCAKES.


Ingredients
  • 3 large eggs, at room temperature
  • ¼ cup non dairy milk (I use coconut or almond)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 2 tablespoons coconut flour
  • ⅓ cup blanched almond flour (Honeyville or Digestive Wellness works best)
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 overly ripe banana (brown spots are the best!)
  • ¼ cup chocolate chips (we use Enjoy Life – omit for SCD)
  • Butter or coconut oil for the pan
Instructions
  1. Mix together the wet ingredients, beating well until the eggs are beaten and slightly foamy.
  2. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then incorporate them into the wet. Whisk well until combined, then let sit for 3-5 minutes to let the coconut flour soak up some of the moisture.
  3. Heat a cast iron (or non-stick) pan over medium-high heat. You can also use a griddle to make more pancakes at once. Mix the batter again, then begin making your pancakes.
  4. Oil the pan with coconut oil or butter, then pour about a ¼ cup of batter per pancake. The pancakes are easier to flip if you keep them small, about 4 inches in diameter.
  5. Once the pancake begins to bubble, place a couple of slices of banana and a pinch of chocolate chips on top.
  6. Carefully flip the pancake over, and cook for another minute until the pancake has fluffed up an feels slightly firm.
  7. Keep hot in a warm oven until you are done making the remainder of the pancakes.
  8. These are best eaten immediately, but if you have leftovers you can warm them in a toaster the next day.

I am detailing my recipes on my Instagram account, which is Freelance_Philosopher, in case you were dying to get involved. Yes, re-entered the world of Instagram and I have to say, it's amazing for recipes and finding like-minded people.



1 comment:

  1. I concur with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your future updates. The usefulness and significance is overwhelming and has been invaluable to me!
    houses in san antonio

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...